As mentioned in my last blog post, it is crucial to express gratitude for everything in life and create soul goals for the new year. For me, one of my soul goals is to become the best me. After experiencing challenging events, I’ve come to the realization that internal work can make a difference in the external world. Although we do not have control over what happens in life, we do have control over how we respond to life. Mike Dooley, the author of Infinite Possibilities, has mentioned that when the inconceivable happens, it’s the necessary incident to help you get to where you want to go or what you desire. As a result, I’ve started an extraordinary journey to find myself – to understand the real Jeannie, tap into my soul, and begin my spiritual path. Speaking from hindsight, I am so grateful for all my challenges because it has triggered my awakening and spiritual awareness.
During specific parts of my journey, I’ve experienced wounds from my challenges, and of course, those moments brought emotional pain. However, I’ve decided to acknowledge the pain, be with the pain, feel the pain, accept the pain, which lead to the release of the pain. I could have buried the pain, but that would have continued the endless cycle of pain and even similar life events. Therefore, the act of acknowledging the pain is the first step in the self-love journey.
Thus, in this blog post, it is a pleasure to share the importance of self-love and suggestions on how to implement self-love.
The Importance of Self-Love
Sometimes, we get so caught up in the events of life. Maybe we are taking care of others or perhaps we are invested in our work. Regardless, we become so connected to everything else in life and forget ourselves. Under the circumstances, we fail to realize that we cannot give attention to others without self-love. The lack of self-love will create internal damage in the long haul.
Recently, I’ve heard the renowned transformational teacher, Dr. Barbara De Angelis, discussed ways to know whether you’re implementing self-love or avoiding self-love. She mentioned:
- When we don’t allow ourselves to be treated well, we don’t love ourselves;
- When we don’t allow ourselves to feel our feelings, we’re not listening to ourselves;
- When we numb ourselves or emotions, we’re not mothering or nurturing ourselves.
After hearing these three major recognition components of self-love, it is important to become aware of what the body is telling us. The body needs love, and if we don’t love the body, we will feel the aftermath of rejecting self-love. The great Wayne Dyer has mentioned that it is time to see ourselves as a soul with a body, and not a body with a soul. Therefore, self-love is a great way to change the perception of self.
Implement Self-Love Today
Since the start of my journey of self-love, I’ve discovered wonderful ways to love myself unconditionally. Although this list is just a few things that I like to do, there are plenty of other forms of self-love. However, here are my suggestions:
- Meditation: Personally, I like to meditate in the morning and before bed. I am getting into the habit of evening meditation to help with the transition between work and home. Meditation creates a sense of grounding and balance. It is a chance to connect with your breath, also known as your life source. In addition, guided meditations have helped with healing some of my internal struggles, such as self-love, acceptance, forgiveness, negative thoughts/emotions, and unconditional love. Insight Timer is my favorite app, and it’s filled with thousands of free guided meditations (and in several different languages as well).
- Yoga: Now, this is a practice that I am easing into my daily life, and my goal is to make yoga a morning and evening practice just like my meditation practice. Although yoga looks like just stretching, it is definitely more than that, and it’s an amazing way to connect with your inner being. I am a fan of Yoga with Adriene, a free yoga YouTube channel. Adriene has a vibrant personality, and her compassion for the art of yoga shines in all her videos, even in her Yoga for Beginners videos.
- Listening: A few months ago, a friend shared a live streaming radio app called Hay House Radio, and it has changed my life forever. Hay House Radio is an online talk radio filled with shows based on spirituality, healing, meditations, empowerment, affirmations, and alternative health. I love their tagline “Hay House Radio: Radio for Your Soul,” and it has literally created a soul shift in my life. I listen to it every single day and even replaced news programs with Hay House Radio.
- Foods and Beverages: Since my self-love journey, I’ve noticed a change in my interests in foods and beverages. When you begin to love yourself, you begin to realize the importance of filling your body with nutritious foods and beverages. When you love your body, you don’t want to harm it with junk food and alcohol. Personally, I think it’s nice to treat ourselves, but it should be in moderation. However, we can make a shift in food choices, such as implementing more plant-based food dishes. Recently, I’ve purchased The Earth Diet by Liana Werner-Gray, and it is absolutely amazing with various healthy replacements for our favorite foods.
- Journaling: One of the most powerful strategies that honor self-love is journaling. When it comes to journaling, it is a wonderful way to get your thoughts on paper and release all emotions, especially fear. As I journal my fears, I try to think of ways to respond to my fears with love because fear cannot exist where there is love. As a result, the fear dissipates from my mind. In addition, the process of journaling allows me to see my feelings on paper and process my internal struggles. As an alternative to writing, I recommend voice journaling, which can be done by speaking into the voice memo on your phone. You can say anything that comes to mind, and it’s a great way to get anything off your chest.
Overall, we must remember to put ourselves first before anyone else through self-love, and this includes spouses/partners, children, family, pets, and friends. By putting ourselves first through self-love, you will be able to love everyone else unconditionally. You have to love yourself, though. No matter what! Ultimately, you have to live with yourself for the rest of your life. So, how will you honor yourself through self-love? Start today and make that shift in perception. Feel feel to share your thoughts.
In Euphoric Love and Gratitude,